Pharmaceutics is concerned with the design and development of suitable dosage form for a drug and strategies to deliver the drug to the desired site of action in the body. The state of the art design of a stable, safe and effective pharmaceutical drug formulations including modern nanoformulations involves several unique strategies to blend the drug into a suitable pharmaceutical matrix comprising of polymer(s) and recipients together which on administration to patients delivers the drug into biological matrix.The pharmaceutics specialization of the department provides practical and research training to the students in the areas of drug formulation, drug delivery etc.
- The major areas of research include development and evaluation of drug formulations, rate controlled and targeted drug delivery systems and nanoformulations. Following are the routes through which the drug delivery systems being developed by the faculty members.
- Peroral - Matrix based, Gastroretentive, colon targeted, osmotic control, microporous coated systems etc.
- Intranasal - drug delivery systems
- Buccal drug delivery systems
- Microspheres based nanoparticles
- Periodontal devices and gels
- Ocular drug delivery systems