B.Tech The department offers four year Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) program (comprising of eight semesters) in Electrical Engineering. It is one of the oldest undergraduate engineering programs in the country for advanced study in the field of Electrical Sciences and recognized world over for its academic excellence. The curriculum of B. Tech program comprises of core courses, department elective courses, institute electives, seminar, laboratory experiments and projects. The program offers sufficient flexibility so that the students can undertake various elective courses that provide exposure in various specializations in electrical engineering, such as Power Electronics, Electrical Machines and drives, Power System, Control System and systems engineering. The undergraduate students can also undertake various research projects through exploratory, undergraduate and stream projects that are embedded in the curriculum. The primary goal of the exploratory project is to facilitate a window to the students for experimentation, model development and learning advanced tools. Undergraduate projects expose the students to applying research methodologies in processes or product development/ innovation/ design.
Department of Electrical Engineering runs five postgraduate (M. Tech.) programmes in Electrical Machines and Drives (since 1956), Power Systems (since 1964), Control Systems (since 1964), Power Electronics (since 1982) and Interdisciplinary Systems Engineering (since 1982). It is a full time program of two years duration with limited Teaching Assistant (TA) positions available in the department. TA positions require valid GATE score in EC/EE/IN/PH/CS disciplines as prescribed for various specializations. The department attaches lot of importance to its Master's students providing them ample opportunities towards research and development. M.Tech program comprises of core courses, specialization related electives, institute electives and supervised research exposition. M.Tech thesis enables graduate students to display their skills in performing independent research in both classical and modern problems of electrical sciences and related areas. It is expected that M. Tech thesis would result in high quality research publications or patent or prototype technology development.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program is a flagship program of the department's research. Ph. D. programme are available in all disciplines of Electrical Engineering. Our researchers are making a real difference, developing innovative technologies and shaping our society. Applied research is a particular strength of our research community, who are working with government, industry and partner organizations to tackle a wide range of exciting and diverse issues critical to improving lives and creating a more equal society in our region and beyond. Our research informs teaching and learning to enrich our students’ experience. Requirement for successful completion of PhD PhD program comprises of course work for prescribed credits with a minimum prescribed performance and a research dissertation reflecting original and independently performed research contributions in the respective area. In Electrical Engineering department, all admitted students are required to successfully complete PhD qualifier examination after completing the prescribed course work. PhD candidacy is confirmed only after the student has been declared successful in qualifier examination. PhD thesis is expected to result in high quality publications in peer reviewed international journals and conferences with a minimum of one journal and one conference paper publication before the thesis can be submitted for review. Funding support for PhD Limited Teaching Assistant (TA) positions are available in the department. All teaching assistants are required to assist course instructors in grading, conducting tutorial and examinations etc., for the prescribed hours per week. PhD scholars getting support as TA may also beassigned any academic or administrative duties related to various activities of the department such as admissions, examinations duty etc., by the Head of the department. If you are interested in enquiring a position available with a faculty member in his/her sponsored research grants for PhD, you may contact the faculty member/s relevant to your research areas.
- Dr. Kalpana Chaudhary Kalpana Chaudhary has been elevated to IEEE Senior Member. IEEE Senior Membership recognizes a professional accomplishment as less than 10% of IEEE Members have achieved this recognition.
- Dr. Kalpana Chaudhary Kalpana Chaudhary has been conferred upon the award of "Outstanding Women Researcher in Electrical Engineering" for her contribution and achievement in the discipline of Engineering by Venus International Foundation in VI Annual Women Meet.
- Dr. Kalpana Chaudhary is the recipient of prestigious award SERB-POWER fellowship 2021 for outstanding research performance in her area of specialization.
- Abhishek Kumar, Rakesh Kumar Misra, and Devender Singh "Improving the local search capability of Effective Butterfly Optimizer using Covariance Matrix Adapted Retreat phase" (EBO with CMAR).
- EBO with CMAR was a first ranked algorithm in competition on real-parameter bound-constrained single objective optimization at IEEE Congress in Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2017), Spain.
- Second Indian algorithm reached this mark in the history of CEC competition.
This is a ROLLING ADVERTISEMENT. There is no last date. However, the processing of the applications by the Electrical Engineering Department will normally be done in two cycles every year and the cut off date for the first and second cycle may be 31st March and 30th September, respectively.
The Department of Electrical Engineering at IIT (BHU) Varanasi invites applications for faculty positions at the Assistant Professor/ Associate Professor/ Professor level in all areas of EE with particular emphasis on
1. Electrical Machines and Drives.
2. Power Systems.
3. Control Systems Engineering.
4. Power Electronics.
5. Systems Engineering.
Candidates with outstanding academic and research record outside the above areas (related to Electrical Engineering domain) will also be considered.
The application procedure and forms are available in the Institute Main website (https://iitbhu.ac.in/deans/dofa/recruitments)
- The department will short-list some candidates after an internal review process. The shortlisted candidates will be invited for research seminar, teaching seminar (~45 mins each), and faculty interaction at the IIT (BHU) campus. During the research talk, the candidates are expected to highlight their recent research contributions and proposed plan for research. Based on these seminars and interaction, department recommends the candidates for a final interview.
- Certificate of Vice Chairman and Advisory Board Member & Fellow of RESI is granted to Prof (Dr.) Rajendra Kumar Pandey.Welcome Letter.
- Oct. 18 : Prof. T.S. Sudarshan from University of South Carolina USA has visited the department and interacted with faculty members and students
- July 3-8: QIP Short Term Course on Power System Stability And Control in Smart Grid Architecture
- Feb 14-20: QIP Short Term Course on Advanced Topics in Robust and Nonlinear Control
• Department of Electrical Engineering is frequently visited by eminent Faculty , Alumni, Industry from all over the world.
• They elighten the students with their visionary talks and presentations and interact with faculty towards a more collaborative system for research , academia-Industry relationship and alumni assocation among many other.
- Prof. T.S. Sudarshan from University of South Carolina USA
- Prof. Swaroop Darbha from Texas A&M University
- Shri Mata Prasad, alumnus of this department who worked in Electricity Board, NTPC and ABB as advisor is visiting the department on Friday, 6 October 2017
- Arun Raman from Department of Systems and Entrepreneurial at University of Illinios at Urbana-Champaign
- Prof. Shankar P. Bhattacharyya is with the Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Texas A & M University, College Station, Texas, USA